Five Quick DIY Mums & Bubs Exercises
THE most important exercise cues:
- Keep your deep abdominal muscles/core engaged the entire time.
- Remember to breathe, don’t grunt and hold your breath.
- With good technique the only thing that should hurt is your muscles, not joints.
1. SQUATS WITH CORE ON – 10 reps x 2 sets
Start in standing holding baby and draw up your pelvic floor and gently draw in the navel to your spine. Keep a neutral spinal position. Keep knees behind your toes and weight on your heels, exhale as you perform a squat. Your goal is to get thighs parallel with the floor.Inhale as you stand and return to start.
2. MINI LUNGES – 10 reps each leg x 2 sets
Start holding your baby, turn pelvic floor and abs on. Take a small lunge step forward as you exhale. Front knee stays behind toes. Return to start with inhale, repeat other side.
3. BABY PRESS WITH CORE ON – 10 reps x 2 sets
Start on your back with knees bent holding your baby at chest height. Turn on your pelvic floor and draw in navel toward your spine. Keep your shoulders open and drawn down and back while you exhale to bench press your baby. Inhale to return to start.
4. BRIDGING WITH BABY – 10 reps x 2 sets
Lie on the floor with your knees bent, baby is across your pelvis. Engage your pelvic floor muscles – hold in as if you don’t want to pee! GENTLY draw your navel toward your spine. Inhale to prepare then on the exhale lift your hips and hold x 3 secs.
5. OPPOSITE ARM LEG REACH – 10 reps each side
Start on hands and knees. Knees beneath hips, hands beneath shoulders. Spine is in neutral position. Pelvic floor and abs are engaged. Lift and reach L arm and R leg. Trunk and pelvis are still, spine does not change position! Return to start and swap arm/leg.